A Healthy Diet
HEALTHY DIET TIPS: HOW TO CHANGE YOUR DIET AND EATING HABITS TO LOOSE WEIGHT AND KEEP IT OFF
These are practical recommendations essential for a healthy diet, which are probably familiar to you:
- Eat fewer calories - by eliminating high-fat foods and cutting fat content;
- Cut down on saturated fat - eat less foods of animal origins and NO margarine, vegetable shortening, or partially hydrogenated oils, and coconut oils;
- For cooking use only good quality olive oil and NO polyunsaturated vegetable oils;
- Avoid sources of trans-fatty acids - common brands of liquid vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, partially hydrogenated oils;
- Add more omega-3 fatty acids to your diet by eating more fish, hemp oil or flax products;
- Eat less protein of any kind;
- Eat more fish and soy products and less animal protein;
- Eat more fruits and vegetables;
- Eat more whole grain products.
Dieting should be replaced with better food choices which promote a slow, steady drop in weight, rather than a rapid weight loss. A good news is that you don’t have to give up everything
CHOOSING THE FOODS YOU EAT
Very often price, taste, ease of preparation and nutrition play a major role in choosing a food s you eat.
Making the right food choices can prevent health problems, such as obesity, heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
But how do you know if you are choosing the right foods?
According to nutrition experts Frances Sizer, M.S. and Eleanor Whitney, Ph.D., authors of the book, Nutrition Concepts and Controversies, there are 5 ingredients for a healthy diet you should consider.
- Adequacy. Your diet must provide enough vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients to replace those you use up each day.
- Balance. All nutrients are equally important, so do not fill up on foods that are rich in some nutrients and ignore others.
- Calorie control. Take in no more calories than you use. Those you do not burn get stored as fat, which can lead to obesity and other health problems. Read more.
- Moderation. Limit certain foods - like those containing sugar, fat and cholesterol.
- Variety. Eat a lot of different foods. You’ll get all the needed ingredients and you ill enjoy your meals as well.
NUTRITIONAL BUILDING BLOCKS FOR BETTER HEALTH
Source: Eat and Heal, FC&A Medical Publishing
BOOKS ABOUT HEALTHY DIET FROM AMAZON
Healthy Gut, Flat Stomach: The Fast and Easy Low-FODMAP Diet Plan
The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook: 500 Vibrant, Kitchen-Tested Recipes for Living and Eating Well Every Day
Back to Natural Weight Loss